W140 S320 Electric problem...maybe

• Dear friends

I´m having a problem with my w140 S320.

Without the key in the ignition, the ligths on the panel are all on.

Starting the car no problem but when I want to switch the car off and remove the key from the ignition, the car is still working, doesnt stop.... Unpluging the negative on the battery is still working.

What´s going on ??? Biodegradable cables from the 90`?

• Hello José,

perhaps it is a malfunction on the electric part of the ignition switch in the dashboard. Guess it's a permanent contact between connection point 30 and 15.

When the engine runs the battery is not neccessary for operation, elektrik power comes out of the generator. To stop the engine in that case you can plug off the central cable on the distributor for example with an isolating glove.

• I have this car for 1 month and the car was parked in a field for more then 4 year. First problem was the ASR ligth and from one day to the other this problem start

• Hello José,

perhaps it is a malfunction on the electric part of the ignition switch in the dashboard. Guess it's a permanent contact between connection point 30 and 15.

When the engine runs the battery is not neccessary for operation, elektrik power comes out of the generator. To stop the engine in that case you can plug off the central cable on the distributor for example with an isolating glove.

I know the cable from the ignition to de starter and the alternator gets ruined with the time and I had a different problem with thi point 15 and 30. Going to check that an make a new cable.

Thank´s for the help

• Oh my God,

there might be some mice have been working in Your car.

Don`t be afraid, they are gone now.

Now it`s up to You to take these rotten cables out and replace them step by step.

It takes a lot lot of patience but in the end You will be succesful.

If not some new mice come along... Sometimes they got just 2 legs.

Best regards

Hanobertel

• The biodregadable cables could be a good reason. Usually the can be inspected on the injector wiring harness on the M104 engines. Prepare for a replacement, especially the older M104/M111 engines are suffering. Mice or rats could be a problem, too. I've lately seen a 210 with a totally ripped apart wiring loom done by these nasty rodents.

Don't forget: W140 can be diagnosed very thoroughly with a Star Diagnosis/ hand held tester.